Fantastic Voyage: Saddle Back Tortoise Re- Design and Neck Animation Experiment


After designing the base design for the Saddle Back I decided to back track and redesign its middle half because I didn't feel it looked as connected as I would of have wanted it to be. The tortoises I have designed from three different cubes, one for the head so it can be extended back independently from the shell, while still looking normal, so rather than connecting the whole of the tortoises inside, I decided to separate  them to make rigging and animating its neck and legs easier, which then left the shell which sits on top.
For the simple extension of the neck I decided to practice it on the saddle back and have a back up animated model incase I needed it later on in the project. I did it by pairing the neck of the tortoise with an extended duplicate version of it, keying the neck going in and out across 200 frames to see how it would play out.


So far I like how it turned out, but I feel that I might need to experiment a bit more with the extension as in the story, its more at an angle rather than a straightforward stretch, so this might occur later in the pre-viz model as I will be able to compare the heigh of the tortoise to the tree and see how far I need its neck to go.

Comments

  1. hi, on the edge of the saddle. you could extrude the edge to make it thicker instead of looking like a 2d plane over the shell. also with the neck extension, have you considered connecting it and using a deformer instead it could turn out to be a cleaner way of doing it with more movement?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sound Experiment 04

Premise: Room Design and Development