What if Metropolis Thumbnails 14: Concept Art (Line Art) and Thumbnails



In creating my Concept art I am deciding to be a little more cautious with my designs, and I would appreciate some feedback regarding the design and also the layout. The issues that I have stumbled on are regarding how to fit all my objects in, such as the Opera, of which I want to be more of a centre piece of the village, as so has to be bigger than the other buildings, as well as the smaller objects like the signs and the bench. I drew up the first line art, but realised that I wouldn't be able to add in the Opera without the rest of the smaller houses and buildings, which would take up a large amount of time, unless I make them in the Matte painting. I have designs a thumbnail (see above) where the camera points down from the opera, looking down at the buildings and putting the Opera front and centre, but the angel doesn't show off the Opera very well or the houses, as only the curved ones would be seen from this angel as its closer to the building.

Comments

  1. Well, you've got the choice to go a bit 'helicopter shot' here, because one of the principle things you want to achieve is to show how 'central' the opera building is to the rest of the city - so you might need to go 'up' and look down at the city in order to express this. If it was conceptually important that we feel 'oppressed' or 'down inside' your city, this approach wouldn't be appropriate, but actually you're using your scene to talk about the centrality of music to the city, so I think a longer shot would be fine for your city.

    One idea in terms of laying out your city... have you considered using one of Kandinski's paintings as your guide for 'city layout' - take a look at this image... could you use this as an architectural plan?

    https://www.allposters.com/-sp/Durchgehender-Strich-Posters_i8880776_.htm

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sound Experiment 04