Premise: Animated Shorts Inspiration Mood-board and List 02




List of Animated Shorts used in this List. 

This is the second list of animated shorts I have watched, with this set focusing on ones on the CAA main blog as well as "Sleeper" which I am using as the main inspiration for my Premise project and "I am a Forest" which I found through online recommendations. This set I feel I drifted, again more towards the animations that focused on interesting lighting and silent storytelling, with a few stand out for lighting being "Whale Heart" and "Geist" which both used lighting in interesting ways to help convey the story. I liked "Whale Heart" for the combination of the red lighting and the style of the animation, which I felt made the story more immersive and have a fairy tale like quality, which I feel would be interesting if I wanted to take my story in that way, while "Geist" I liked how the usage of light supported the different tones the story took, such as when the fire was used in the more solemn and sad moments, while the torch when the story got more tense and scary. 

I also liked the range of monster designs in some of them, which is an element I am considering on taking my Premise as well. I liked "Escape" and how the monster fitted with the world and how its size and abilities where used in the story to convey tension, while "Shell" I liked how the corpse like person worked in the environment and the design gave the desired, un-appealing effect, visually in such a short amount of time. 

I also liked some environments presented in these shorts, with "Sleeper" and "I am a Forest" using colour and an interesting design (e.g. "Sleepers" more toy like and textured and "I am a Forests" paper and 2D style) to support their tone, and I liked how " I am a Forest" experimented with light and perspective, allowing the audiences to see the space from different angles and how that effected the story. Others like "Otto" and "Little Things" I liked the camera angle and the usage of space in contrast to the story, with the doll house shot from "Little Things" applying to me the most because it made everything look atmospheric and also convey the space fully without spending too much time on it. 

Overall I liked watching all the shorts and I will defiantly continue to watch more of them to expand my palette and make updated mood boards as my story progresses, but at this point I think I want to focus more on the project itself and coming up with a base story that I can use to expand from there, but watching the shorts has given me a lot of ideas and concepts I would like to try and input within my story.

I have also linked all the animated shorts in the list above. 

Comments

  1. Well done...glad you found this useful. Keep going throughout your degree (and beyond). The more you watch the better able you are to understand your own potential.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sound Experiment 04

Premise: Room Design and Development